Sunday, June 5, 2011

First weekend in New Orleans

So this has been my first weekend in New Orleans. I landed Friday afternoon and I have been staying at Marla Jean and Trent's house. Marla Jean is the city coordinator for the WOW Jams here in New Orleans. I must admit before leaving San Diego I was very scared and nervous. I realized that I was scared because this trip signifies my first step to the rest of my life. Yes, I have lived on my own for a while, I had to pay bills, and I have also gone off this last year to college on my own; but it wasn't until boarding the plane to go to a city that I barely knew to stay with people that I barely knew that I really felt like I was taking my first real step. It has been a step into adulthood, the first step into the rest of my life and more importantly a step of faith. As the days grew closer to leave I began to become more and more fearful of the unknown of this trip. Fears of the people I would be staying with, or being depended on when I felt that I really didn't have enough to give haunted me. I had let these fears take over my heart so much that I greatly considered not coming. But it was the people pleasing side in me and knowing that my ticket had already been paid for that I hesitantly got on the plane.While on the plane I wrote in my journal my fears and prayed. Soon after I was able to take a bit of a nap, and when I woke up I felt a little better.
After I woke up I felt the need to talk to the guy sitting next to me, but my own pride or fear got in the way. I kept pushing it off. The more I pushed it off the stronger my nerves grew inside of me and that was how I knew that this wasn't just random chance that we were placed next to each other. Right as my nerves were about to get the best of me I glanced over to the notebook he was studying and saw that the information was familiar to me. His name was Elijah and I casually asked him about what he was studying and from there a conversation began to arise. We started asking questions about the other person and we actually had a great conversation. It was when we got on the topic of family that I realized the reason for our encounter. Elijah's parents have been going through a rough couple of years with their health. Santos, Elijah's dad, had a heart attack two years ago and still has a high chance of getting another one. His dad has had to take it easy the past few years in order to maintain his health. Now Elijah's mom, Gloria, recently just had lung failure and is in need of a lung transplant. Gloria loves to garden and spends much of her time doing so, but the doctor ordered her to stay out of the sun. As Elijah told me about his parents it just broke my heart. This family has gone through so much in such a short amount of time. I asked him if he would give me the names of his parents and if he minded if I could continue to pray for their healing. As I asked and I watched him listen to my question for just a moment I saw his face change. It was as if I had offered him a magical pill that would make everything better. It was as if I had just done something in offering prayer. Looking back that moment was absolutely priceless. So often I am scared to offer prayer either in the moment or to let them know that I will be praying for them. Especially if they are not from school or church, but this moment was able to show me just how much people really believe in the power of prayer no matter what negative things they say about it. This family has greatly been put on my heart so if you are reading this please take a moment to pray for them. Pray for the healing and restoration of the family.
Now since actually being in New Orleans I have been trying to catch up on sleep, get adjusted to the time change and get accustomed to the heat. I have spent a lot of time getting to know Marla and Trent, as well as what many different ways Marla is involved in ministry. They are an amazing couple that are doing wonderful things for the Lord. Last night Sam and Chuck came over for dinner and it was just a blast having them. They have such an amazing story and are so lively. I think most of the night we spent it laughing. They are also doing amazing things. Sam is doing the counseling at a church, and Chuck is doing a lot of work with Catholics. They are just absolutely amazing. Today we went to church at the CrossRoads Church which is  Jim Woodard's church. I will be working with them later on in the summer. The first Sunday of every month they have what they call family day, which is a potluck and everyone hangs out and fellowships over a meal with each other. I really enjoyed the concept behind it.
Right now I sit in my room at Marla's house and I am just absolutely amazed at how God is working in so many people's lives. Almost all of the stories I have heard this weekend have been of just that. How God has lead them to things they would have never dreamed and has given them all the right connections that other wise would have never happened. It has just been so great seeing so much in such a short amount of time. I am still a little nervous about being here, but I am not as afraid anymore. I am just anxious to see what comes of this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment